Year 5 home learning support for week commencing 27/04/2020
Please find work to support your child’s home learning for this week.
As we start the summer term, we will continue to post suggested lessons for your child. As mentioned previously, it would be incredibly helpful for your child to have a set routine (with plenty of breaks). Also, go through the work at your child’s pace. It is OK to make mistakes, that is how we learn.
In school we would normally be focusing on Geography this term, with our topic ‘Where in the World?’. The whole school topic plan is below to support home learning, this will give families ideas if they wish to follow the topic.
Alongside the topic you may wish to learn a foreign language, the children already learn French in school. You may wish to look at the BBC Bitesize or Duolingo websites for support.
- Maths Year 5 WB27/04/20
- Adding decimals crossing the whole
- Adding decimals with the same number of decimal places
- Adding decimals within one
- Complements to one
- English Year 5 WB 27/04/20
- Commas in Lists
- Expanded noun phrases
- I am a writer Joseph Coelho
- Golden Time Joseph Coelho
- Newspaper article – Pupils Protest Over New Uniform Rule
- Red Ruby Rings Joseph Coelho
- Preparing to perform
- For and against school uniform
- Poem reflection prompts
(previous weeks’ work can be found at the bottom of the menu on the right)
To help support your child at home:
- give them dedicated times for their learning (children like routines)
- make sure your child has regular agreed breaks from work (children like routines)
- support your child with their home learning, talking about the learning helps children understand
- have consequences, your child does need to do home learning (children like to know the boundaries)
- Please remember home learning does not have to be at a table with pen/ pencil in hand.
- Take the opportunity to teach your child new skills, they may be art/ craft, gardening cooking, painting, DIY (but in a very safe environment), games (including board games).
- Children also enjoy leading their own learning, let your child choose a topic that interests them.
Please remember though children also like time to themselves, just like adults. Downtime for many children (when they come home from school) may have been XBOX, Playstation or other computer based games. Help your child with their Emotional Wellbeing- talk to them, play with them, help them with their home learning.
Together we can do this.
Please stay safe and follow the Government advice.