Year 6 home learning support for week commencing 13/07/2020
BBC Bitesize has a whole site dedicated to transition between primary and secondary school, with a particular focus on this year.
There are videos to watch, practical tips for pupils and parents, as well as information about online safety.
It is a really good resource and we recommend you take some time to explore all the information which is there. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zh4wy9q/starting-secondary-school/1
- A Weekly overview 13-07
- Transition advice
- Moving on Up
- Final Transition Booklet
- Calm Down – Brain-Break Breathing Exercise Cards (Emotional Regulation)
(previous weeks’ work can be found at the bottom of the menu on the right)
To help support your child at home:
- give them dedicated times for their learning (children like routines)
- make sure your child has regular agreed breaks from work (children like routines)
- support your child with their home learning, talking about the learning helps children understand
- have consequences, your child does need to do home learning (children like to know the boundaries)
- Please remember home learning does not have to be at a table with pen/ pencil in hand.
- Take the opportunity to teach your child new skills, they may be art/ craft, gardening cooking, painting, DIY (but in a very safe environment), games (including board games).
- Children also enjoy leading their own learning, let your child choose a topic that interests them.
Please remember though children also like time to themselves, just like adults. Downtime for many children (when they come home from school) may have been XBOX, Playstation or other computer based games. Help your child with their Emotional Wellbeing- talk to them, play with them, help them with their home learning.
Together we can do this. Please stay safe and follow the Government advice.